Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Arthritis & Running!


A few months back I wrote about about running and knees. Lately, this topic's the most often talked about here at Fleet Feet Mahwah when people come in to be fit for shoes. News Years resolutions abound and more and more people are committed to hitting the roads as well as signing up to run races of half marathon distance or more!

As a result, this issue is worth writing about some more.

Typically, many people feel that they can't run due to osteoarthritis in their knees or due to having cartilage issues. Recent research has shown that not only does running not cause osteoarthritis it actually helps it. The increased activity running provides causes the body to lubricate the joints which decrease the chances of inflammation.

I personally can attest to this. As I've said in the past, I've had three knee surgeries to repair torn cartilage. I also have "OA" in both knees from my ice hockey days in college. If for one reason or another, I go a week or so without running, my knees begin to ache! When I resume running, "oila" the pain subsides! Go figure!

I also take glucosomine and chondroitin tablets, as well as Omega-3 tablets on a daily basis. research has shown that each of these helps knee and joint inflamation.

Add a pair of the correct shoes, footbeds, and a "smart" and disciplined training plan, and most folks can run without joint discomfort.

Naturally, the advice of a personal physician trumps what any article or research project recommends. If you experience chronic knee or joint pain, give your doctor a shout and get his/her take on what's the underlying cause, and how to treat it!

Are any of you experiencing knee or other joint pain? If so, please share with us how you treat and deal with it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment