Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The "Inner" Side of Running


As the owner of a running specialty store, I've met literally thousands of runner's during Fleet Feet Mahwah's seven plus years that we've been in business! Each runner has a special reason for running and each of those reasons are as unique as the runners themselves. Once we get talking, the topic of "personal best" often comes up, and that usually ends up with me and the customer trading stories about our running experiences.

For most, a "personal best" revolves around speed or a time goal for a specific distance. But, can a personal best be measured by other factors than speed?
I say yes! I believe that there are several other ways than speed to measure a personal best.

For example, I believe that I ran my personal best marathon this past NYC Marathon despite it being by far, the slowest marathon I've ever run--by a LONG shot! How do I figure that?

Well, I had my third knee operation in September of 2008 and wasn't able to run uninhibited until this March. I deferred my 2008 entry and was determined not to repeat that in 2009. As a result, I trained so as "not to get hurt" rather than train "to run!"

Furthermore, during this years race I had calf cramps, in both legs, from mile 8 until the finish. I was literally in survival mode for more than two thirds of the race. I probably SHOULD have dropped out, and called it a day but for me, quitting wasn't an option!

What got me through the race, was mental toughness and the ability to focus on making it through the next step. I also focused on blocking out the pain from the cramps as I went along. That, along with the cheers of the crowds, smiles from onlookers, and a hug or two, "did it" for me as far as crossing the finish line.  I can't say I felt euphoric after the race, I just said "daaayyyumnnn!" to myself!

So, I looked back and can easily say, it was my personal best EFFORT as far as perseverance, and overcoming challenges never faced before from both a training and "racing" point of view. It forced me to pull together every facet of running I "learned" over the years so that I could finish! 

The "virtues" that I described above however can't be taught, as least as far as I am concerned, for me personally.

So, where did they come from? Again, for me personally, that's easy to answer! They came from a higher power, simply stated, from God!

There are days that you run, alone, without any music, and you just don't think about your run. Instead, your're one, with nature, at peace, and in "a place' that's providing you with an energy and re-vitalization that you can't explain, but you just accept. You feel free, thankful and blessed!

You can also achieve the same feeling when you're running with another person(s), and you all simultaneously, are in that "place" due to conversation, or silence, or by listening to each other and your surroundings in a way that transcends anything athletic.

Those runs are where God instilled the traits that not only got me through the marathon, but get me through LIFE, when life throws you a curve ball. Those runs are also responsible for teaching me that at this time in my life, my running is at a different (maybe even better) place than it''s been for many years in the past.

Now, I can appreciate that I can run even if it may hurt at times. It no longer matter's how fast. It's a realization that time, as well as miles, have forced me to take a different fork in the road. The fact that I know that, and still love every run, makes me even more blessed.

I'd love for you to share with me, any special "personal bests" of yours!

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive on the NYC Marathon, congrats.

    My personal best was when I ran a mile in a little more than 6 minutes once lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive? Maybe DEpressive in the NYC Marathon. I've simply accepted the fact that my running's changed and how I look at it must too. The inner side of running is how I will judge my PBs!

    ReplyDelete