Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Run For The Hills



I just returned from spending five exciting days at the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco, and what an amazing and unique experience it was! The course for this 13.1 miles was not for the faint of heart, but the beautiful scenery and festive spirit that Nike provided made it easy to rise to the challenge and embrace those big hills that San Fran is famous for.


The festivities began as early as three days before the race at the Nike Women’s Half Marathon Expotique in Union Square. This is where you needed to pick up your race number and packet, although the fun didn’t stop there. Once you had your golden ticket, you were welcome to explore the rest of the Expotique, where there were lots treats and surprises to pump you up for your big race. From cupcakes to Nike themed spray-on tattoos, these folks didn’t miss a beat in making us ladies (and gents!) feel special. Just when you thought you had seen it all, you arrived in the area where the Paul Mitchell station was located, and to really put the icing on the cake, they were offering a free hair braiding service, by their professional staff. Nothing quite as great as getting your hair styled for conquering the terrain that would make your hair curl otherwise!



As if all that wasn’t enough, my favorite part was yet to come. There happened to be two very special guests present- Shalane Flanagan and Joan Benoit-Samuelson. They gave a nice pep talk, and spent some time discussing what inspires them to run, what it has taught them about themselves, and they finished up by giving some advice to everyone in the crowd. 


Now onto THE race itself! The gun went off at 6:30 AM, so it was still dark out for the first few miles, but us runners slowly got to see the city wake up. It didn’t take long to discover that this journey towards the acclaimed Tiffany necklace was going to be a challenge. We were directed up a massive hill as soon as the second mile, and I immediately became thankful that I had the steep inclines of Mahwah to train on. Shortly after that, we were rewarded with some sprawling downhills as we made our way through various neighborhoods in the city. We eventually entered Golden Gate National Park, where the majority of the second half of the race took place. While it was probably the most beautiful part of the course, it was also the hardest. Mile 7 introduced a steep, gradual incline, followed by another major hill at mile 8. But the mother of all hills came around mile 10, and we experienced a 300 ft. change in elevation on a cone shaped hill that just kept spiraling upward. However, as the saying goes, what goes up must come down, so we were greeted by a nice slope downwards at the top of the hill, and the last two miles provided a nice flat finish along the water.


And then for the moment we had all been waiting for…the finish! As exciting and enjoyable as the race and the course was, I’m pretty sure I can say that I’m speaking for everyone when I say that I couldn’t wait to get my hands on the grand finisher’s prize, that Tiffany necklace! As soon as I crossed the finish line, I was handed a nice chocolate milk as well as a swag bag filled with all sorts of tasty treats to refuel. And then I was guided to a separate line where I was handed (yes, you guessed it) that little blue box. I finally opened it to find a beautiful necklace of the San Francisco skyline, and the date and the name of the race was engraved on the back. The finisher’s village was bopping, and there was tent where you could roll your muscles out or get a massage. There was also a Fleet Feet finisher’s boutique, and I immediately made my way into there to stock up on some post-race gear.

All in all, Nike went above and beyond from start to finish, and I honestly could not have enjoyed myself any more than I did. Everything that was offered totally exceeded my expectations, and I’m thankful that I was able to take part in the excitement.

Thanks for a great memory, NWHM San Fran! See you next year J   
Jackie Glotzbier        


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written blog entry, Jackie! So glad that the race lived up to your expectations and then some!

    ReplyDelete