Thursday, October 15, 2009

A "Super Run" - The Cape Cod Rail Trail



As the owner of a running specialty store, one of the many blessings I get is the opportunity to talk to runners of all sorts. Regardless of their ability, we often talk about our favorite running routes, and oftentimes those runs are on routes away from "home."

The other day, John G, a good customer of mine came in wearing  a Cape Cod t-shirt. I asked him what town on the Cape he stayed at, and as he was telling me, he added, "I just wish there were some good running routes there!"

One of many great experiences I have from my childhood are vacations in Cape Cod, Mass. My parents took my brother and I there as kids, and the fond memories I have from those days have made Cape Cod a vacation destination for my wife, daughter, and me to this day.

Since I opened Fleet Feet Mahwah, trips there have been less frequent but, certainly not less special. In fact, because they are less frequent, they've become MORE special! We typically spend time in Provincetown, which is at the tip of Cape Cod but, will head in to Falmouth for the famed Falmouth Road Race whenever the opportunity presents itself.

"P-town" has some outstanding places to run but, the "spot" I mentioned to my customer was the Cape Cod Rail Trail which begins, or ends, depending on your view, in nearby Wellfleet.

The Cape Cod Rail Trail follows a former railroad bed for 22 miles through the towns of Dennis, Harwich, Brewster, Orleans, Eastham and Wellfleet. Its paved surface, few hills, and well-marked automobile crossings make it ideal for runners. Anyone who's been to the Cape falls in love with its natural beauty, a beauty that goes beyond the beaches. A run along the rail trail will bring you through cranberry bogs, sand dunes, lakes (which are perfect to cool off in by just tossing off your running shoes) and parks. After you're done, "re-hydrate" with some steamers and beers!  It's a run that will have you coming back for more, especially in autumn when it's less crowded.

If you travel to Cape Cod, and are looking for a "Super Run," the Rail Trail is IT!

I'll write about some other "Super Runs" in upcoming blogs in places like Philly, California, the Adirondacks, Switzerland and more! Do you have a "Super Run?" If so, I'd be honored if you'd share it with me! If you give the green light,  I'd be happy to include it in a future blog of "Super Runs."

No comments:

Post a Comment